According to Dave Meltzer and “The Wrestling Observer” Radio, Charlotte Flair was originally scheduled to get her rematch from Survivor Series and take on Ronda Rousey at The Royal Rumble.
As seen on this week’s Raw, the WWE decided to call an audible and put Sasha Banks in the title match against Rousey. Rousey has been on record stating that she’d love to have a match against Banks. As such, many believed that was the reason that the change was made.
According to Meltzer, there may be more to the rational for making the switch. The WWE may have moved Charlotte out of the match against Rousey at the Royal Rumble because they are still strongly considering her inclusion in a Triple Threat Match with Rousey and Becky Lynch at Wrestlemania 35.
Meltzer noted that plans are subject to change and that the WWE could still decide to run Rousey v Charlotte at one of the events leading up to Wrestlemania. As of now, it looks like the WWE scrapped the match at the Rumble in lieu for bigger plans down the road.
Credit: Wrestling Observer Radio
- WWE Monday Night RAW Results 2/17/2020
- Arena Reportedly Won’t Work with AEW Due to WWE
- Former WWE Star Says WWE Is Taking His Ideas and He’s Not Happy About It
- WWE Announces Women’s Elimination Chamber to Name WrestleMania 36 Opponent for Becky Lynch
- Shelton Benjamin Reveals New WWE Contract, Expresses Frustration